Monday, May 18, 2009

Small birds in flight....too hard

I find it almost impossible to get a passerine in flight. They are so fast and unpredictable. Every picture I ahve of a small bird in flight is quite horrible. There is something that always can go wrong. I had a scarlet tanager as you can see below, perfectly in focus off the branch... too bad i was on the worst possible shutter speed making the red bird look black.

The parairie warbler is just bad


Swallow out of frame

Yellow warbler that can be confused with a plane.





2 comments:

  1. Yes, Birdboy, photographing passerines in flight is very difficult. I still haven't gotten the knck for it yet. Keep trying and keep shooting! That's the beauty of digital...you can keep shooting without wasting all that film like the old days. I was trying to photography flying hummingbirds in Arizona last week...another tough feat, if I say so myself. I posted a response to your comment on my Arizona trip on my blog, so check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..I have the same problem..try as I may they all seem to be blurry and sometime not in the picture at all..very difficult ..I now have a new appreciation for those pictures that capture the little passerines.

    ReplyDelete