Sunday, April 19, 2009

Killdeer and Kestrels

Still waiting for the passerine migrants i decided to shoot the kestrels still hanging around. I found the strategy to get oppurtunities. I used the high northwest winds to might advantage. When you chase them they will fly away quickly. I did the sit in wait game today. I would sit south to where they were hovering and hunting. They all seemed to hunt one patch north to east. They would hover then move 20 feet to te right and hover. But the way i got my shots was when they north wind hit them right over my head. The only problem they were so fast and so close it was actually hard to get them in frame and focused. The killdeer were much easier. I heard them fly in. I knew exactly where they would be. There are little stone paths next to field. I got pretty close to these guys. I wonder if the killdeer was sitting on the nest?




















2 comments:

  1. Very nice photos birdboy!
    I really like the second kildeer photo...the bird on the right looks like it had very long legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first visit to your blog! Very nice birds in flight photos of the Kestrel. Kestrels are so small and fast- they make for a difficult bird in flight shot. Photography is a life long challenge and a hobby that becomes a passion- it looks like you have the bug. :)

    ReplyDelete